- To learn more about effective mentoring
- To develop specialised skills to build relationships with young people
- To reintroduce and remind practitioners about the Guide to Effective and Safe Practice in Youth Mentoring (2nd edition)
- To continue from the initial series of Sharing the Kaupapa regional workshops, which explored the Guide
- To expand upon Section 3 of the Guide: The Mentoring Relationship
- To provide new frameworks, research and skills to strengthen quality mentoring relationships, available for all levels of mentoring programme delivery, including coordinators, teachers, mentors, youth workers and volunteers.
- To strengthen regional and national networks in the well-established youth mentoring community
- To have fun!
Workshop content and structure
The workshop is structured to mirror the typical mentoring relationship journey.
Youth mentoring recognises culture.
- What are the unique indigenous approaches to mentoring in Aotearoa?
- What are our cross-cultural competencies?
- How do our cultures weave throughout everything we explore?
Youth mentoring requires contemplation
- How do we reflect on our motivations to mentor?
- How do we consider what young people are looking for and need?
- Can we name programme aims, goals and expectations?
Youth mentoring prioritises connections
- How to connect with young people? What works?
- How are mentoring relationships formed?
- Can we reflect on mentors in our own lives, and their impact on us now?
Youth mentoring creates covenants
- How can we co-create with young people a shared purpose and goals?
- How do we set boundaries and expectations?
- Who needs to be involved in the relational agreement or ‘covenant’?
Youth mentoring includes challenges
- How can we respond to defiant and challenging behaviour?
- How do we avoid power struggles and conflict?
- How can we refocus, repair and get relationships back on track?
Youth mentoring needs continuity
- What skills and qualities can we apply as relationships mature?
- How do mentoring relationships develop long term?
- What kinds of ritual and rhythms can we create?
Youth mentoring enables change
- What impact are our relationships actually having?
- How can we evaluate progress and the covenant?
- How do we know we’ve made a difference?