Do you remember someone who encouraged you to believe in yourself, who encouraged you to work hard in school and in life?
At its most basic level, a mentor is a more experienced friend that cares about their mentee (young person) and is there to help in any number of situations.
Mentors help keep students in school.
- Mentors help improve a young person's self-belief and confidence
- Mentors help young people build connections, relate well to all kinds of people and help them strengthen communication skills.
- Mentors help young people set career goals and start taking steps to realise them.
- Mentors can use their personal contacts to help young people meet industry professionals, find internships and locate job possibilities.
- Mentors can help their mentees learn how to seek and keep jobs.